- By City
- All Deals
- Most Popular
- Community Giving
- Explore More
By Kim Humphrey
Posted Dec 03, 2018
Posted Dec 03, 2018
National Cookie Day is this Tuesday, December 4th, another one of those faux holidays that provides a great excuse to indulge in a favorite sweet treat.
Origin of National Cookie Day
Matt Nader of the Blue Chip Cookie Company out of San Francisco is credited with proclaiming the official date back in 1987. However, Sesame Street's lovable cookie fanatic, Cookie Monster, has been celebrating National Cookie Day since the '70s. We're going to go with the furry blue guy on this one.
Interesting Cookie Facts
- 7 billion cookies are consumed in the U.S. every year - that equates to over 1,000 cookies per person!
- The Animal Cracker was the first commercial cookie introduced in the U.S. in 1902.
- The chocolate chip cookie was invented in 1937 by Ruth Graves Wakefield (1905 - 1977) who ran the Toll House Inn, a popular restaurant in Whitman, Massachusetts that featured home cooking.
- The Oreo, introduced by Nabisco in 1912, is the best selling cookie in the U.S.
- 72% of Americans consider "soft & chewy" their favorite cookie texture.
- The Girl Scouts started selling cookies in the 1920s. They sell about 200 million boxes equaling about $700 million in revenue every year!
National Cookie Day Freebies
But enough with the facts, here's what you've all been waiting for -- FREE COOKIES! Check out this list of retailers celebrating National Cookie Day this year with delicious deals and freebies.
Mrs. Fields: Get a free cookie with any purchase at Mrs. Fields retail outlets nationwide (while supplies last).
DoubleTree by Hilton: Did you know that DoubleTree by Hilton is known for their delicious, warm chocolate chip cookies that greet their guests at check-in? Find out what all the fuss is about by stopping by any property on National Cookie Day for a complimentary ooey-gooey signature DoubleTree by Hilton Cookie!
Photo Courtesy of DoubleTree by Hilton
Great American Cookies: Get a free Original Chocolate Chip cookie on National Cookie Day at participating Great American Cookie stores, while supplies last. Find your local Great American Cookies store here.
Insomnia Cookies: Insomnia Cookies is celebrating National Cookie Day all WEEK long with freebies and special surprises. Follow @InsomniaCookies on Instagram and Twitter for further updates on the best week ever!
- From Dec. 3rd - 8th, you can enter Insomnia Cookie's nationwide "Win Cookies for a Year" sweepstakes. Five lucky winners will receive free warm, delicious treats for an entire year! How's that for a delicious giveaway?!
- On Tuesday, December 4th, guests will be treated to one free traditional cookie in-store at any one of Insomnia Cookie's 145 locations nationwide.
- On Wednesday and Thursday, December 5th and 6th, guests will receive one free traditional cookie with any online delivery order.
Penn Station East Coast Subs: Purchase any sandwich at Penn Station East Coast Subs on National Cookie Day and get a free fresh baked chocolate chunk cookie bite!
Schlotzsky’s: Stop by a Schlotzsky’s on December 4th and get a FREE small cookie when you buy any entree!
Photo Courtesy of Schlotzsky's
Cheryl's Cookies: Buttercream frosting fanatics can indulge in these sweet deals from Cheryl's Cookies all week long!
- Online shoppers will receive 30% off all Holiday Towers from Monday, December 3rd through Wednesday, December 5th.
- Save 50% off a Holiday Box filled with 48 assorted cookies at all Cheryl's Cookies retail locations from Monday, December 3rd through Friday, December 7th.
Photo Courtesy of Cheryl's Cookies
The Dough Jar: The Dough Jar serves up small-batch, gourmet edible cookie dough for that right-out-of-the-mixing-bowl deliciousness without the risk of getting sick! YUM. The Dough Jar has three locations in the Washington, D.C. area in Georgetown, Adams Morgan (Pop Up inside Rise Bakery) and Tysons Corner Center (Pop Up near Macy's on the second floor). Grab our very special CertifiKID offer to save 34% Off a Cookie Dough Scoop Flight at their newest Scoop Shop location in Georgetown where you can mix and match your scoops and try up to four different flavors! Or, celebrate National Cookie Day with a cookie dough party with this Certifikid deal.
Photo Courtesy of The Dough Jar
Treat yourself to more sweet deals! Save up to 50% off holiday shows, light festivals and events with our holiday deals and coupons.
CertifiKID was founded by a mom with a passion for helping parents provide the best experiences for their children on a budget. From outings to adventures, classes to camps, theater to sporting events, amusement parks to getaways, CertifiKID provides the best family-friendly experiences at unbeatable prices. Sign up for family-friendly deals in your area and start saving!
Explore More Categories
Plan an Affordable Aladdin-Themed Kids Birthday Party (Magic Carpets Included)
Book Lovers Day: What our Team (and our Kids) are Reading Right Now
Real Mom Reviews
Real Mom Review: Water Lantern Festival
Getting Back-to-School Ready: Time, Money and Sanity-Saving Hacks and Tips From our CEO
Real Mom Reviews
Real Mom Review: ARTECHOUSE DC’s “Infinite Space” by Refik Anadol